- Created content strategy plans for businesses, including leading workshops on editorial vision, defining ties between editorial strategy and company strategy, and establishing key stakeholder needs for success.
- Conducted content audits of websites, social media, publications and other company products to focus on key messages, increase user experience, and remove dead material cluttering websites and diminishing web impact.
- Close collaboration with lateral teams including PR, legal, web, marketing and other stakeholders, to ensure buy-in and engagement.
- Analyzed and defined writing teams to establish editorial calendars, set content workflows, and put in place content governance plans to ensure fresh content and the removal or archival of outdated content.
- Created plans for timely publishing tailored to individual team capabilities, roles across editorial and multimedia roles, with measures of success, creating clear work plans for staff and training them in publishing platforms.
- Established voice and tone guides for writers to be in compliance with branding and legal needs from donors or government regulations.
- Created SEO writing guidelines and led staff workshops for capacity building.
- Review of websites for compliance with web accessibility standards.
- Oversight of project and client management including contracts and budgets.
Knowledge Management Communications Officer
Previously: Web Editor
International Center for Wheat and Maize Improvement, CIMMYT (2014-2016)
- Developed internal communications strategies to promote use of intranet, databases, library system, and open publications for wheat and maize research center. Conducted trainings on content management systems.
- Created and implemented internal engagement strategy for 1,200 employees in 14 worldwide offices, including intranet and weekly newsletter.
- Developed and oversaw execution of communications strategies for knowledge management innovations including open data advancements and best practices, constituting major academic work culture shift.
- Content management and project oversight for building of corporate museum involving archivists, web team and third party museology team reviewing more than 150,000 photographs and documents from 50 years.
- Led user experience testing for communications platforms working with web, data, and library teams to ensure high engagement and adoption.
- Developed content strategy to connect and re-purpose content across multiple, fragmented institutional and project websites. Led large communications team to develop editorial plan, improve workflow, and increase timeliness of publishing between multiple editors and freelancers.
- Trained two internal communications managers at headquarters. When their roles were downsized, stepped in to edit and publish daily content for intranet in SharePoint and newsletters in MailChimp.
- Worked closely with staff worldwide, many being non-native English speakers, editing and refining their academic and personal publications.
Sustainable Business Editor
Social Media Today (2011-2012)
- Daily management of online community of environmental business experts
- including recruiting, editing and publishing a dozen articles daily to niche
- audience. Oversight of ~40 regularly syndicated writers.
- Development of e-books in collaboration with major clients for distribution
- online and in events including handling budgets, contracts, and production.
- Live web event development and production for social media events.
- Budgeting and contract management for writers, including establishing
- editorial policies such as kill fees.
EcoMetro Guide and ecometro.com of Celilo Group Media (2007-2010)
- Editorial head for concept, research and writing for annual eco city guides,
- growing from three to six cities during my tenure with circulation of 150,000
- and addition of three websites.
- Oversight of team of ~30 freelancers for daily publishing of environmental
- information and local blogs to three interrelated websites.
- Creation and management of social media accounts per city.
- Research and fact checking working with local governments for state and
- national environmental regulations and best practices.
- Audience analysis and setting standards for school appropriate content.
- Creation of company editorial style guide for web and print.
- Content localization with each of six regional sales teams.
Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon
English Literature, Academy of American Poets Prize